Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Grunt of Acknowledgement


December 3, 2008
To the woman who rammed into my car this morning:
 Look, I know accidents happen. They happen everyday. No big deal. I get it. It's cold out, snow is in the forecast, everyone has the bright shiny  Christmas lights up so it's easy to get distracted. I know that you were probably  in a hurry, and my sitting at an intersection waiting for an opening in traffic was probably annoying you, and hey, what better way to subtly let me know of your time issues than by flooring it, and plowing into my back end? I get that. I also get that you were further annoyed by now having to deal with me and my demolished back bumper. It all makes perfect sense. What I don't get is the attitude.
A simple "I'm sorry - are you okay?" would have gone a long way in changing my perception of you as a horrible human being.
I know, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. No one was hurt, no property was damaged...other....than mine, but okay. My question is, a simple apology. Why not throw one out there? Hell lady, you didn't even have to mean it - just a courtesy "Sorry" would have been appreciated. Shit, I would have welcomed the Grunt of Acknowledgment over the stink-eye you sent my way.
Does saying "Sorry about that" equal admitting guilt or a giant character defect? Have we become so lawsuit happy that apologizing for something opens us up to legal woes?  
So, you didn't apologize. You know who else has never apologized? Attila the Hun. Look how we remember him - a bloodthirsty Mongol. If he had only said, "Wow, is my face red. Boy, sorry about all that pillaging. I don't know WHAT the hell I was thinking there!", people today would say, "You know, that Attila wasn't really a bad guy". But no, now he's just another asshole in a long list of assholes who never apologized.  Dick Cheney shot a guy in the face, and all that guy got was "Glad I didn't kill 'em. Mwah."
So, congratulations, Woman in Honda, you are in fine company. I hope you have a fine holiday season. And just to prove there are no hard feelings, let me apologize to you:
I'm sorry you are such an inconsiderate bitch. 
Happy holidays, everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment